Updated 01/16/2013 11:52 AM
New York SAFE Act signed into law
New York State now has some of the toughest gun laws in the country. The New York SAFE Act
was officially signed into law on Tuesday.
The Assembly voted 104 to 43 in favor of the gun legislation. The Senate approved the gun control measures earlier in the week.
Highlights of the new law:
- Tighter ban on assault weapons
- Restrictions on the sale of guns
- Restrictions on certain types of ammunition
- Updates the state’s assault weapons ban of 1994
- Limits high-capacity magazines from 10 bullets to seven
New York's legislature is the first in the nation to pass tougher gun control measures since last month's Newtown school shooting.
We want to hear from you! Take part in the conversation by commenting on blog posts made by our Capital Tonight political team throughout the day.