Updated 11/15/2012 03:38 PM
Accused Rapist Awaiting Trial Faces New Charges
A man accused of raping three women in Irondequoit last year is now facing new charges prosecutors say he committed while out on bail.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
Michael Chess was first arrested in October of 2011. He was accused of robbing and raping women he met online.
While that case was going forward, Chess was out on bail. During that time, police and prosecutors say he did it again.
In October of 2011, Michael Chess, 25, was arrested and charged with robbery and three counts of rape. Police said Chess met women, who are escorts, online and arranged to meet them in residential areas in Irondequoit. Once there, police said he raped and robbed them. Chess was indicted and arraigned on those charges last year.
Just as his case began this September, Judge Alex Renzi declared a mistrial. Prosecutors explained it was because of a medical condition with Chess's attorney Charles Schiano Sr.
That case is now scheduled to go in January of next year.
Throughout that time, Michael Chess was out of jail. Prosecutors say his family posted $10,000 bond and Chess was released while waiting for his trial.
While out on release, prosecutors said he once again attacked women.
Chess pleaded not guilty in Rochester City Court Thursday morning. He's now accused of robbery, attempted robbery and grand larceny. Prosecutors say more charges are coming.
"He's meeting people on backpage.com for the purposes of having sex with them," explained prosecutor Mary Randall. "These victims meet him and he robs them and rapes them."
According to victim's statements, Chess in September and October arranged to meet two separate women at homes on Ridgeway Ave. In one case, the victim says Chess pinned her up against the wall and then threw her to the ground. She says she fought him off with mace she had hidden in her bra. She says he then stole her purse and ran off.
Another victim told police Chess pointed a gun at her and threatened to kill her.
Rochester City Court Judge Thomas Morse issued orders of protection for the women involved and Thursday set bail today at $100,000 cash, $250,000 bond.
Randall explained that bail was set the first time around by another judge.
"He [Chess] had contacts in the community," she explained. "He was employed at the time, or said he was employed. And he had no prior record. He's made his court appearances and that's one of the purposes of bail."
Chess' mother, who was in the courtroom, kept repeating that the allegations were not true. She did not want to speak to YNN on camera. Chess' defense attorney said he has not been retained in this case and had only just received all the paperwork.
Prosecutors and police believe there are other victims.
"Based on that, they're doing they're fearful to come forward, but we have had cooperation from several of them and I do hope more will come forward will come when they see this man's face," said Randall.
Police are asking other women who think they too may be victims to call 911 and ask to talk to an investigator.
Prosecutors say they may ask for the cases against Michael Chess to be joined. He's due back in court next week.